Highland Park, Illinois
In September 2015, Conservation Land Stewardship, as a subcontractor to John Keno and Company, was awarded the Ft. Sheridan Ravine and Coastal Restoration project in Highland Park, Illinois by the Chicago District of the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).
In collaboration with Openlands, Lake Forest Open Lands Association, and Lake County Forest Preserve District, CLS will perform ecological work along 1.5 miles of the Lake Michigan shoreline and within the McCormick/Jane, Hutchinson, Scott Bartlett, and Schenck Ravines. CLS involvement on the project includes:
- selective tree and shrub removal
- bluff habitat stabilization with the appropriate native vegetation
- removal of non-native and invasive species
- restoration of aquatic, ravine, dune, and beach habitats
- planting appropriate native seeds, plugs, and shrubs specific to the area and habitat